Porsche 996 Key | Technical Forum | Forums

Please read the forum rules.

You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Minimum search word length is 3 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Porsche 996 Key

UserPost

11:09 am
August 17, 2010

CDN_Stig

posts 8

Anyone know where I can get a key coded in the Okanagan area? Or do I need to go to the dealer in Vancouver? I hate not having a spare. :)

4:52 pm
August 18, 2010

KevinL

South Surrey B.C.

posts 147

I purchased a key and a Fob from MCL for around $450.00 after being quoted $250.00 on the phone.

I ended up with a Fob that works which is good and a key they did not cut because they said they couldn't (never should have accepted that).

Now I cannot find any place that can cut the key. Anyone out there know where I can convert my blank key to a real one.

So much for going to the dealer in Vancouver

8:23 pm
August 18, 2010

MB EURO

posts 19

Keys for the newer cars can only be ordered VIN specific from the dealer (older ones could be cut by a good locksmith), then on the 996 for ex. the remote needs to be programmed, these days only the owner, with proof of ownership can order these type of parts. Klennox, sounds to me like you have a 993, in which case they sold you a remote which is programmable without a coded VIN key blade. Hope this helps
Bernie

7:54 am
August 19, 2010

JamesD

North Vancouver

posts 290

Kevin, for your 993 key, any good locksmith can cut that for you. If you are heading into Vancouver at some point, try Pacific Lock and Safe. They are fantastic.

OP. 996 keys require programming, as Bernie said. Both for the immobilizer pill and for the alarm transmitter. Anyone with a PST2 or PIWIS and access to your specific vehicle's IPAS codes can program the fob for you. That being said, I don't think there's anyone outside Vancouver or Victoria with that access. Even then, there's only two dealers, and probably three independent shops with that capability.

9:00 am
August 19, 2010

KevinL

South Surrey B.C.

posts 147

If you are heading into Vancouver at some point, try Pacific Lock and Safe. They are fantastic.

Thanks for the advice James, I work downtown so they are only 10 minutes away.I will give them a call and hopefully after 2 years with a blank key I will have a spare

8:07 am
August 24, 2010

CDN_Stig

posts 8

My local localsmith had no problem cutting a 996 key. He even had a matching blank in stock. I'm not sure why that is the problem? Of course the only thing this will do is unlock the doors.

Is there something special about the Porsche blanks?

Looks like you can order a fob ($125 us) and blank ($22 us) from Suncoast parts for a 996.

Which independant shops can handle the job? I assume they might be cheaper.

8:56 am
August 24, 2010

JamesD

North Vancouver

posts 290

CDN_Stig wrote:My local localsmith had no problem cutting a 996 key. He even had a matching blank in stock. I'm not sure why that is the problem? Of course the only thing this will do is unlock the doors.

Is there something special about the Porsche blanks?

Looks like you can order a fob ($125 us) and blank ($22 us) from Suncoast parts for a 996.

Which independant shops can handle the job? I assume they might be cheaper.

For cutting the key, not a problem for a good locksmith. What is 'difficult' about the job has more to do with equipment and information than it has to do with actual difficulty. Outside the dealership, your choices are limited, as the equipment is very expensive (Porsche's PIWIS, or the old PST2 computers are not cheap equipment) and the information requires access to Porsche's IPAS system, which is again, expensive and not easy to obtain.

Not to shamelessly plug, but Scan can do it.

1:23 pm
August 24, 2010

CDN_Stig

posts 8

Thanks for the responses, excuse by ignorance but what is Scan? :)
It looks like I can get just a keyfob head with immobilzer without the remote a lot cheaper. Just want a spare handy "just in case".thanks

7:40 am
August 25, 2010

Ipecac

posts 462

Scan is an independent shop on the north shore (1118 East 3rd Street, 604-980-4542).

Jonn

9:07 am
August 25, 2010

JamesD

North Vancouver

posts 290

You will still need to program the Alarm control unit to accept the immobilizer pill in the 'cheap' version of the key. Otherwise it won't let you start the car. Same programming required.

Yes, as Jonn said. http://www.scanautomotive.com

10:01 am
August 25, 2010

CDN_Stig

posts 8

Thanks guys, I will contact them.
Just one more thing, will I need the serial number for my original key/remote? I don't have that either … I think I might have read that it gets wiped out during programming again???

Thanks

12:33 pm
August 25, 2010

JamesD

North Vancouver

posts 290

Don't need it unless you have a failed control unit, as the key is logged in the system. You'd just be adding a key.

10:19 pm
November 8, 2010

firemagi

Vancouver, BC

posts 5

As I understand it, the key blank has a chip imbeded in it as does the fob. After a smith cuts the blank, it still has to be programmed in order to start the car. Of course, the fob needs to be programmed as well. MCL charges $120 for the blank, while Suncoast charges $23. My guess is that Suncoast's blanks are knock offs with no chip. Any body know for sure?

Thanks in advance.

FM
996C4

10:18 am
November 10, 2010

firemagi

Vancouver, BC

posts 5

As an addendum to my post above, MCL charges $120 CAD for the key, but is already cut and guaranteed to fit your car. Suncoast charges $23 USD (plus shipping) and you still have to pay to cut it. Still a pretty good savings if it's genuine Porsche.

FM

12:10 pm
November 10, 2010

JamesD

North Vancouver

posts 290

You are best ordering the cut key from a dealer, but you'll still have to have the immobilizer pill (that's in the remote, or plain key head) programmed for the immobilizer to allow the car to start. Purchasing the cut key blade does not include the remote (between $200 and $300 depending on your specific vehicle variant) or key head (about $80, but no remote unlocking), those are purchased separately and require programming.

8:22 pm
November 11, 2010

firemagi

Vancouver, BC

posts 5

Thanks James.

I believe Suncoast (http://www.suncoastparts.com) is a Porsche dealer in Florida. They say that some 90% of all of their parts are genuine Porsche. My thinking is that buying the key (if genuine Porsche) and remote from them, then cutting it here and having MCL do the programming would probably save me some $150+ at the end of the day. The full meal deal at MCL is close to $600.

I just bought my 2000 996 C4 cabrio last weekend. It's my first Porsche and I'm looking for ways of saving money on parts and labour so that I can spend it on gas.

FM

11:53 pm
March 10, 2015

Liliflower

Mexico city

posts 1

Yape, PT2 makes key programming faster without going to the dealer 

here is a good document on programming keys with PIWIS 

11:20 pm
April 14, 2019

chasen

posts 4

hello,for porshce keys,you would better to ask a auto locksmitch to program a new spare key for you,it is expensive for diy key by yourself.

The special tool for Porsche is very expensive,for example Porsche PIWIS 3

http://www.uobdii.com/wholesal…..s-iii.html this is OEM tool,about $2699,and for original maybe over $3500.

So the cheap solution is ask a auto locksmith to do it.

About the Porsche Club of America – Canada West Region Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Vancouver

Administrators: RayG (482 Posts), Owain (365 Posts), susanrsa (176 Posts), admin (2 Posts)

Moderators: ErwinK (89 Posts), Water Hound (13 Posts), matt928s4 (11 Posts), Zeus993 (10 Posts), AdrianB (1 Post), katefenton (0 Posts)